April 3 – April 7, 2017
(5 days, 6 hours per day, total 30 hours)
Location: Florence, with surroundings
Medium: Oil on panel
Instructor: Niklas Elgmo
This is a workshop for those who want to learn the basics of landscape painting “en plein air” (outside in nature). The goal of the workshop is to give you the knowledge, confidence and inspiration to continue trying capture nature. Previous painting experience is not required. You can borrow equipment from me.
In the workshop we will cover how to:
- Prepare panels
- Compose a painting
- Set up easel and palette
- Use sight-size method
- Observe light, color and values
- Abstract from nature (simplify)
- Mix colors
- Apply paint (different painting techniques)
I will give demonstrations to the whole group. You will also receive personal instructions and can ask questions at your easel all throughout the day.
- 09:00 – 12:00 Demo and/or individual painting
- 12:00 – 13:00 Lunch
- 13:00 – 16:00 Individual painting
You will work on a different painting in the morning and the afternoon, and you can expect to complete between 4 and 6 paintings during the workshop.
We will paint around the center as well as places outside Florence (like Fiesole and Settignano) that are reachable by bus.
You bring your own brushes and paints. I am available to help you purchase what is needed to get started. Easel and palette can be borrowed during the workshop. I will also provide you with prepared panels, paper towels, medium and solvent.
- Easel and palette (possible to borrow)
- Palette knife and medium cups
- Hogs hair brushes: 2 large, 2 medium, 2 small (flats or filberts)
- Oil paints (40ml tubes): titanium white, cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, cadmium red, alizarin crimson, cerulean blue (optional), ultramarine blue, ivory black, raw umber.
- Black mirror (or smartphone)
The workshop is €400 per participant. A non-refundable deposit of €100 must be paid to confirm your place. The remaining balance is paid at the start of the workshop. Your cost for materials (brushes and paints) will be around €100. A minimum of two participants is needed for the workshop to take place. Five is the maximum number of participants.
To sign up or if you have any questions please contact me via:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone/Whatsapp: +46 703616608
- Skype: nelgmo
My name is Niklas Elgmo and I will be your instructor. I’m from Sweden living in Florence. I have graduated the painting program at Florence Academy of Art where I am now working and teaching. For examples of my work you can visit